The exhibition The House of Orange-Nassau in Brielle and on Voorne-Putten shows portraits of all stadtholders, their wives, the kings and queens who have visited Brielle or other places on the islands of Voorne-Putten in recent centuries. The beautiful portraits are painted, drawn, printed, cast in bronze or applied to crockery.

Resurfaced portrait of William of Orange
The portrait of William of Orange attributed to Michiel van Mierevelt, which was found in Spain and belongs to a private collection in the Netherlands, can also be seen in the exhibition. Just like two previously unexhibited lacquer portraits of Prince William V and his wife Princess Wilhelmina of Prussia from the collection of the Royal Collections.

Van Mierevelt Willem van Oranje.jpg

Exhibition Catalogue
Brielle and Oranje have been linked for centuries.
For the first time in 1573 when William of Orange came to inspect the fortifications as stadtholder. And on June 12, 1575, he married his third wife Charlotte de Bourbon in the nearby Sint-Catharijnekerk. Even after Willem de Zwijger, the Oranjes Brielle and the double island of Voorne-Putten came to visit regularly. Their motives are described in detail by guest curator Erik Swart in the catalog accompanying the exhibition.

Orange route Voorne Putten
An Orange Route over the islands of Voorne-Putten has been compiled for the exhibition. This route for cyclists, walkers and motorists uses QR codes and leads from Brielle to Oostvoorne, Hellevoetsluis, Geervliet and Heenvliet.
The sustainable route is available free of charge at the reception of the museum and can be downloaded from the website www.historischmuseumdenbriel.nl

New StoryTrail
The theater company Stadsadvonturen developed a new StoryTrail for the exhibition: Brielle en de Oranjes.
Reservations are necessary and can be made via the website of Stadsavonturen.

Combi tickets with Catharijnekerk
In 2022, the museum and the Sint-Catharijnekerk church will continue to work closely together in terms of visitor policy. An admission ticket to the museum also gives access to St. Catherine's Church.